After a week traveling in Mexico City and Cuernavaca, I am back to the grind in Guadalajara. I was in Cuernavaca for my Fulbright Mid-term reunion and I took advantage of the fact that we were meeting up in Mexico City to go to Cuernavaca together and spent a few days before the reunion doing some research for my project and exploring Mexico City. Since it would be hard (and probably boring for the reader) for me to detail all of my adventures during the last few days, I’m going to list my highs and lows:
– Conducting three interviews with government professionals who gave me a lot of important information and useful suggestions for my project
– Learning how to navigate the metrobus
– Eating delicious tacos al pastor
– Eating one really good tamal at the Festival de Tamales in Coyocán
– All meals at the Hostería Las Quintas in Cuernavaca
– Sharing a meals with old and new friends
– Rubbing elbows with people I intellectually admire
– Going to the Frida Kahlo Museum
– Hearing my peers give excellent presentations on their research thus far
– Seeing another Diego Rivera mural in Cuernavaca
– Street harassment (It was only on one occasion, but it was a lot and I’ll never get used to it)
– One disappointing tamal at the Festival de Tamales in Coyocán.
As you can see, the highs greatly outnumbered the lows. Every time I travel in Mexico it just makes me want to see and eat and explore more. I have another trip planned for the end of February and I can’t wait!
Here are some photos to illustrate my experience:
La Casa Azul, the home that Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera shared, which is now a museum
Museo Regional Cuauhnáhuac – Hernán Cortés’ former palace in Cuernavaca, which is now a museum
Hostería Las Quintas
Cooking workshop at the hotel with my fellow Fulbrighters. I was in the dessert group and we made a mousse de mamey, which was essentially whipped cream, mamey pulp, and sweetened condensed milk which was mixed and then piped into dessert glasses and topped with berries and raspberry and mango syrups.
The other groups assembled a salad with panela cheese, figs, and a balsamic dressing, and a piece of steak with huitlacoche, a ball of fried mashed potatoes with cream cheese inside and a sauce.